BNP standing committee member Gayeshwar Chandra Roy said that the government made the entire country into a jail by resorting to repressive policy.
“The 56000-square-mile Bangladesh has been turned into a jail. Sheikh Hasina (PM) is its jail supper, and her ministers and 300 MPs are jail guards,” he said.
Addressing a discussion at the National Press Club yesterday, the BNP leader urged people to get united to break the jail and its shackle to save the country its independence and restore democracy.
Jatiyatabadi Jubo Dal arranged the discussion protesting the government’s repressive acts.
Gayeshwar also alleged that the opposition leaders and activists are being killed, made disappeared, harassed and arrested in false cases as the current regime resorted to oppressive policy to hang onto power without people’s mandate.
Accusing the government of trying to gag their voice by not allowing them to hold rallies and peaceful programs, the BNP leader warned that if the government sticks to its current position they will not have any alternative to waging a strong street movement.
He claimed that this regime is not legitimized one as it has been formed through the polls without having participation of voters in it. “This government died on January 5 through holding a voter-less election. Now only its funeral is left for people to do.”
The former minister also claimed Sheikh Hasina represents only the country’s 5 percent people and the rest 95 percent are with BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia as they boycotted the January-5 election responding to her call.
He also alleged that the current regime is now being run by three sarkers (governments) --Imran H Sarker, Hasina Sarker and Indian Sarker. “We have to forge a strong movement to save the country from their clutches.”
Stating that their movement for arranging the general election under a non-party administration is still going on, Gayeshwar said they will intensify it together with people to realize their demand.
Chaired by Jubo Dal senior vice president Abdus Salam Azad, the program was addressed, among others, by its president Syed Moazzem Hossain Alal and BNP joint secretary general Ruhul Kabir Rizvi.
Entire country turned into a jail: BNP