Munshiganj: The salvage operation being carried out by ‘Jarip-10’ and ‘Kandari -2’ to locate sunken launch ‘Pinak-6’ will continue while that of different agencies, including the Navy, Coast Guard, BIWTA and Fire Service, have been postponed.
Munshiganj deputy commissioner Md Saiful Hasan Badal announced this at a press briefing at Padma rest house on Sunday.
“Jarip-10 and Kandari-2 which have been examining the underwater metallic object, detected 100 yards off Mawa ghat on Saturday, will continue their work while salvage operations by different agencies were concluded Today,” he said.
Besides, rescue vessels -- Rustam and Nirbhik -- have been kept ready at Mawa for conducting rescue operations once the sunken launch is detected, he said.
Although a metallic object, resembled with the sunken launch Pinak-6 by its length and width, was detected through side scanner sonar of Kandari-2 on Saturday but the divers could not reach near the object till Sunday afternoon due to strong currents in the river.
In-charge of Kandari-2 Navy captain Manjurul Karim Chowdhury said divers are trying to identify the underwater object but the search operation is being hampered due to strong currents in the river.
However, 46 bodies have so far been recovered after the launch capsized in the mighty river.
According to a list of District Administration, 122 passengers of the ill-fated launch are still missing.
The tragic incident took place when the overloaded launch with over 250 passengers on board from Kawrakandi capsized in the river, 800 yards off Mawaghat (jetty) around 11:15 am Monday due to strong currents while it was heading towards the jetty.