The International Crimes Tribunal-1 on Wednesday set April 9 for summing-up argument by the prosecution in the case against war crimes accused Zahid Hossain alias Khokon Razakar, mayor of Nagarkanda municipality in Faridpur district, being tried in absentia.
After closing the cross-examination of the investigation officer (IO) Satya Ranjan Roy by the state-appointed defence counsel Abdus Shukur Khan, the three-member tribunal, headed by Justice M Enayetur Rahim, passed the order.
During cross-examination on the closing day, the IO, also the last prosecution witness (PW No.24), said that all through his investigation, he had once visited the Nagarkanda house of accused Khokon, who is on the run since the case was filed.
IO Satya Ranjan Roy denied the defence suggestion that Khokon had become a victim of the war crimes charges by mistake as he was known by several names. “I had verified all his local names and found his name on the official list of Razakars prepared by the office of the deputy commissioner, Faridpur,” the IO said.
Designated prosecutor Mukhlesur Rahman Badal appeared for the prosecution.
On October 9, 2013, the tribunal indicted mayor of Nagarkanda municipality in Faridpur Zahid Hossain alias Khokon Razakar for his involvement in crimes against humanity during the 1971 Liberation War, dismissing the discharge plea moved by the state-appointed defence counsel for the fugitive accused.
Septuagenarian Zahid Hossain Khokon, also Nagarkanda upazila BNP vice-president, faces 11 counts of charges that include loot, arson, repression, forcible conversion to Islam, shooting to death, rape, killing and mass killing in his area during the 1971 Liberation War in collaboration with the Pakistan occupation army.
Responding to a prosecution plea on July 18 last year, the tribunal, after taking cognisance of the charge of crimes against humanity during the 1971 Liberation War against Khokon, issued warrant for his arrest as the accused did not appear before it.
The prosecution, in compliance with a tribunal order, published legal notice in daily newspapers asking Khokon to surrender before the tribunal within a fortnight to face the trial, but the accused did not turn up.
On June 23 last year, the prosecution submitted to the tribunal formal war crimes charges against the incumbent Nagarkanda municipality mayor.
Prosecution argument against Khokon Razakar from Apr 9