Chittagong: At least 38 houses were gutted as a fire broke out in Ali Ahmad Member Bari area of Hathazari upazila early Sunday.
Fire service sources said the fire originated from an electrical short circuit at a house around 5am and it soon engulfed the adjacent establishments of the area.
On information, three firefighting units rushed in and doused the blaze after three hours of frantic efforts with the help of locals.
Fireman Abu Zafar sustained burn injuries while extinguishing the blaze.
The extent of losses caused by the fire was estimated at Tk 10 lakh, said Paban Talukder, control officer at the Chittagong Fire Service.
38 houses gutted in Ctg